CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Our last few weeks





Our last few weeks here at home have been busy ones. First, we've really been working on potty training. While most days she has the "pee pee" thing down, we still have accidents and have yet to even attempt "poo poo" on the potty. Mommy is trying not to get discouraged but some days it can be. I know she can do it!! She just has a stubborn streak. Yesterday we had a dry panties day all day and so far so good today. So while progress might not be as quick as what I might like, we are getting there slowly but surely. Last week we did make a trip to the zoo (see photo of Em and racoon) and she pottied in the big girl potty before we left. When we walked out of the restroom she shouted very loudly, "I pottied, People!" Unfortunately we were the only ones there at the time and nobody heard.


Last week we started our Wee Toddlers class at the Rec Center. This is a one hour class on Thursday mornings where kids her age get together for 30 minutes of unstructured playtime then story time, snack and a craft. Since last week was our first week I anticipated maybe a bit of reluctance. However I was not prepared for Emily running down the hall back toward the front door, screaming and spending the first 30 minutes in class crying hysterically. I felt horrible! The teacher made several attempts to get Emily involved and then I think finally gave up. It wasn't until it was time to pick up toys and get ready for a story that she actually left my side. I slipped out the door of the classroom (which was left open but had a baby gate in it) and sat outside the room and I never heard another peep out of her for the last 30 minutes. When class was over she came running out to show me her picture and was happy, laughing and having a great time. I'm hoping this Thursday is better and that we don't have to go through the first 30 minutes like we did last week.


This morning was our first morning for Toddler Time at the library. It runs for 30 minutes each week. Today's topic was ABC's. There were just three other toddlers there with their moms so not a very big group. I was pretty pleased with my girl though as she was the only one who sang along to the ABC song with the librarian. She seemed to enjoy it and Mommy did, too, so we'll look forward to going back each week from now until mid-December (minus the weeks we will be out when baby brother comes along).


Yesterday we had our baby shower for our little boy expected in just four weeks. Emily knew pretty much everyone there and had a great time. Here is a picture of Em, me, my two sisters and our two aunts--three generations of a sort since my mom is no longer with us.


Emily loves to water the flowers. A co-worker of Jeff's gave her a duck watering can shortly after we moved here and she takes such care walking from the kitchen sink to the front porch to water. Here is a picture of her watering our flowers.


And this from the "out of the mouths of babes" column...last week I was finishing putting my make-up on one morning when Emily joined me in the bathroom. I told her I was almost finished but needed to put my make-up on. She asked, "So you don't scare people?" Yes, Emily, so I don't scare people. Children are so honest!! :-)

4 comments:

LaLa said...

Ha ha...that crazy girl. You do NOT look scary w/o makeup..you glow of course.

I hope Thurs is better for you. It really is so difficult when they scream for you and you know they need to stay and be independent.

Congrats on the potty Miss Emily : )

Can't wait for the little man to make his debut..

Michelle said...

Potty training can be frustrating at times:) JiaLi has been in a class on Tuesdays and at home is excited about it but when there turns into a cling-to-Mommy kid. This week we had some crying in class(because she wanted to do what some of the others were doing--fooling around) Anyway--she says she loves it so we will keep trying:) We'll be thinking of you!

Stacie said...

She is too funny, Keep us posted on that little man and please send pictures once he arrives. :)

Way to go miss Emily on the potty, keep trying you'll get it.

Patty said...

It sounds like you guys were very busy right before the baby came! It's amazing how all the sudden they are potty trained and it doesn't seem like it was that bad...that is looking back. At the time we had our moments! Take care! Looking forward to seeing you in Atlanta. I hope Brenda and Haighlie can make it.